This part-time position is an outgrowth of the mission of Nashville in Harmony and is responsible for the artistic development and maintenance of the Major Minors Youth Chorus program. As such, this position cultivates opportunities in which individual teens (and their families) can connect and build mutually supportive, accepting relationships and intentional, visible community. This position also supports the artistic direction of the Nashville in Harmony adult chorus, participates in its artistic programming, and stands in for the Artistic Director for adult chorus programming as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to all youth protection policies.
- Oversee the artistic direction and growth of the Major Minors Youth Chorus program. This includes:
(a) Demonstrating a high professional standard and dynamic understanding of youth voices, vocal pedagogy, language and diction
(b) Overseeing and nurturing a supportive and quality musical learning environment
(c) Developing annual artistic and educational program ideas and appropriate curriculum for arts workshops/clinics
(d) Overseeing logistics and fulfillment of all rehearsals and educational programs that meet performance and community-building goals, including creating vocal-part recordings and rehearsal resources as needed
(e) Overseeing concerts, including, but not limited to: logistics, securing performance rights, scheduling and securing venues. etc.
(f) Repertoire selection and adaptation from diverse musical styles and genres
(g) Coordinating with the Major Minors accompanist for rehearsals and performances
(h) Maintaining the Major Minors choral library including cataloguing, distribution, and collection of scores
(i) Co-create with the Major Minors Program Director the design, plan, and execution of recruitment meetings, rehearsals, retreats, tours, performances, and camp opportunities, as well as publish an annual calendar of those events.
- Co-manage with the Major Minors Program Director and Membership Director the selection, oversight, and recognition of Major Minors adult volunteer members
- Coordinate with the Major Minors Program Director and the NiH Development Director on the development of plans for financial maintenance of the Major Minors Youth Chorus. Work with the Program Director on annual budget development to implement performances and programs
- Coordinate with the Major Minors Program Director and Director of Marketing/ Communication to create and execute annual recruitment and marketing campaigns
- Coordinate with the Major Minors Program Director and the Community Engagement Director to create opportunities for singers to engage in external and internal community-building activities and programs
- Assist as needed with the artistic direction of the Nashville in Harmony adult chorus, including conducting rehearsals and performances and participate in program planning
- Engage in active, regular communication with internal stakeholders (parents, singers, volunteers, and NiH Board), donors, and community supporters with regular newsletters and monthly board reports
- Represent both the Nashville in Harmony adult chorus and the Major Minors in community partnerships and networking events as a high-profile advocate and promoter
- Seek out collaborative opportunities for Major Minors with artists, arts organizations, local school music educators and administrators, and LGBTQ+ youth and community organizations, particularly on existing and emerging social justice issues
- Provide monthly reports on program achievements, progress, and goals to the NiH Board
- Attend meetings, as needed, with donors and community partners,
- Education: BA, BM, or BFA required. Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education preferred
- Experience: Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in choral conducting and/or similar required. Must have creative programming skills, including experience in planning and implementing performances and/or arts workshops. Must have youth-specific competencies and experience working with youth. Must have knowledge of and sensitivity to the LGBTQ+ community, choral movement, and musical/artistic community. Must be accepting of and comfortable with varied sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions and be able to communicate professionally with youth about these topics.
Our Purpose and Vision: This position supports the Nashville in Harmony mission of using music to build community and create social change. This organization seeks to promote equality, inclusion, and diversity of race, ability, gender identity and gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique.
Notes: Applicants should submit their Resume/ CV and a written statement of interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read “NiH Associate Conductor”.