We are hiring for a full-time job to join the Transportation Team of the Operations Department at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee.
What you’ll do:
Summary: The Director, Transportation is a key team player with responsibility for the overall strategy of the department, including timely and accurate pick-ups and deliveries, as well as the ability to work cross-functionally with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. This role utilizes transportation software to ensure efficiencies and timely movement of our fleet. The safety of our Drivers is priority, ensuring all vehicles are properly maintained and DOT compliant. Collaborates with the Director, Operations to execute the strategy and mission of the organization. This leader supports and fosters our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion, which is the foundation for ensuring a culture of belonging for all personnel.
- Directs all aspects of the Transportation department.
- Utilizes transportation software and scheduling to optimize transportation models and improve or change routing to become the most efficient transportation system possible. Optimizes the fleet to the best of our ability based on routes, deliveries and pick-ups.
- Maintains good relationships with donors, working closing with the Food Resource Manager.
- Ensures all Drivers are compliant with internal policies and procedures as well as DOT regulations.
- Develops and manages the annual budget for the transportation department.
When & Where: Typical daytime hours of 7 AM – 4:30 PM to work primarily out of our Nashville distribution center. Occasional evenings and/or weekends may be required outside of normal working hours for meetings, special events, to respond to issues (e.g., disaster response, community events, etc). Occasional daytime travel required, up to 10% of work week within the local service area.
Is this you?
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Logistics, or a related area preferred. High school diploma (or equivalent) required.
- Experience: 5+ years of related experience and/or training required. Experience with GPS tracking system and Trimble routing software preferred.
- Skills: Organizes, coordinates and directs projects; leads, hires, trains, manages team including performance management; effectively communication in both oral and written format to all levels of leadership, donors and staff; strong negotiating and third-party vendor management skills; demonstrated proficiency with technology and computer programs including, but not limited to the Microsoft Office suite of products (Outlook Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Core Competencies for Operational Leadership: Coaching/Developing Others, Leadership/Strategic Thinking, Influence & Project Management.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
What Second Harvest has to offer:
- Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands on and solutions oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results. Our mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community. In the 2020 fiscal year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.9 million meals to hungry children, families, and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger free community.
- Award winning workplace: we are a best-in-class workplace because we are passionate and people focused – we listen, respect, care and challenge each other, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces seven times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged and grow with Second Harvest.
- Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Total compensation for full-time employment includes many benefits, in addition to base pay. The time off policies include: 10 holidays, 15 vacation, 12+ sick and personal time as required by law. Traditional benefits offered include medical (employee-only coverage paid 100% by employer) dental and vision. Additional available benefits include retirement (with a generous employer match), disability insurance (short and long-term), life insurance as well as long-term care insurance.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
1. Online: employment application on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=apply&gni=8a78839e7b9d2606017ba3c9d65c11e0&gns=LGBT+Chamber. Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
2. Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/contact.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee. We love it here and think you will too.