Executive Assistant to the CEO
JOB TITLE: Executive Assistant to the CEO
REPORTS TO: CEO
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
FLSA STATUS: Exempt – Salary
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
Salary Range: $45,000 - $55,000/year
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality and innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential. We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members bring unique perspectives and skills and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Executive Assistant provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the CEO. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors and agency leadership teams; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts; and oversees special projects.
Day to day:
• Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CEO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed itineraries and agendas; and compiling documents for meetings.
• Plans, coordinates, and ensures the CEO's schedule is followed and respected. Provides "gatekeeper" and "gateway" role, creating ideal situations for direct access to the CEO's time and office.
• Communicates directly, and on behalf of the CEO, with Board members, donors, Big Brothers Big Sister’s staff, and others, on matters related to CEO's programmatic initiatives.
• Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
• Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO and agency departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with agency leadership.
• Works closely and effectively with the CEO to keep her well informed of and prepared for upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CEO updated.
• Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the CEO.
• Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting agendas, presentations, correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CEO's ability to effectively lead the organization.
• Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Board Support and Liaison
• Serves as the CEO’s administrative liaison to Big Brothers Big Sister’s board of directors
• Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members
• Adheres to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
Executive Leadership Liaison
• Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Leadership Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending meeting as appropriate
• Assists in coordinating the agenda of agency meetings and off-sites
Communications, Partnerships, and Outreach
• Ensures that the CEO’s bio is kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the CEO and the organization in general
• Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stake holders
This Job May Be For You…..
The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a non-profit environment that is mission-driven, impact-focused, and community-oriented. The ideal candidate will have the ability to exercise solid judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to excel under pressure in order to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. Key skills for this position include:
• Strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners, and donors
• Expert level written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
• Emotional intelligence
• Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to effectively work independently
• Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, adapt to various competing demands and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
• Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
• Forward looking thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
Additionally, we’d love…
• Belief in and passion for youth mentoring
• Consistent desire and willingness to seek out new and more effective methods to support the CEO and agency
• Outstanding critical thinking skills
• Collaborative spirit
• Strong work tenure: experience supporting C-level Executives preferred
• Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, Zoom, and Social Media web platforms
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. We believe work-life balance is essential and support staff in achieving this. Our comprehensive benefit package includes:
Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)- generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
Domestic Partner Benefits
Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
Immediate enrollment in our 403B --- We match 50% of what you contribute up to 6% of pay. Staff are vested after 12 months of employment
Training & Development Programs
Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
20 days of paid time off
16 paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years
Flexible work schedule
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name – Executive Assistant” in the subject line OR mail to
1704 Charlotte Ave. Suite 130
Nashville, TN 37201
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.