Unified Champion City Schools Coordinator
JOB TITLE: UNIFIED CHAMPION CITY SCHOOLS COORDINATOR
SUMMARY: The Unified Champion City Schools Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the Unified Champion City Schools (UCCS) initiative for Special Olympics Tennessee. The UCCS program is a new school-based initiative designed to reach youth in under-served communities. This program will create inclusive school environments through whole school engagement, inclusive youth leadership, and inclusive sports opportunities. This position will recruit new schools by providing funding and resources to activate this programming. This individual will be responsible for providing support for
UCCS-based partnerships developed through each school district while managing the relationships with schools, athletic directors, students, administrators, and Unified Sports® coaches.
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF UNIFIED CHAMPION SCHOOLS
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Skills and Abilities:
- Effective interpersonal skills and experience working with various individuals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and manage volunteers.
- Ability to build effective relationships with diverse organizations.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to multi-task effectively.
- A commitment and understanding of the Special Olympics Tennessee mission.
- Proficiency in using relevant technology, including Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and database systems.
- Willingness to travel within the state and to work evenings and weekends to meet job requirements.
- Submit to a background check.
- Position requires working both standing and sitting. Must be able to lift and carry light loads.
- Position is working with the Metro Nashville, TN school district.
- Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities or familiarity with Special Olympics youth engagement programming.
- English/Spanish bilingual preferred.
- Develop partnerships with schools to implement UCCS’ initiatives and
- social inclusion activities.
- Provide regular and meaningful reports on the financial status of UCCS projects to ensure ongoing budget adherence.
- Ensure all spending, financial reporting, and other activities are compliant with grant requirements.
- Lead operational and financial elements of annual planning process for UCCS projects.
- Conduct meetings and develop communication materials as needed to assure clear and open communication between all school programs.
- Provide support to Schools Unified Sports® programs as needed to ensure the
- successful delivery of services to the athletes, families, unified partners, and volunteers.
- Work in conjunction with Special Olympics Tennessee’s sports department to implement
- coach’s education within all Unified Sports® programs.
- Serve as a resource to ensure all UCCS are following Special Olympics policies, procedures, and rules.
- Coordinate with Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) on sanctioned Unified Sports competition events.
- Represent Special Olympics Tennessee to the public by speaking to government officials, school boards, service clubs, and community groups as needed.
- Train school personnel in the development and implementation of UCCS’ initiatives and criteria.
- Help develop new partnerships to promote UCCS within each school district and the greater community.
- Assist with Special Olympics Tennessee’s competitions, program activities, and special events as needed.
- Additional responsibilities assigned by the Director of Unified Champion Schools
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 4-year degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) and 2-5 years of applicable work experience in education, leadership, sports management, or event management.
- Paid or volunteer experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities preferred.
- Two years of Special Olympics experience or organizational equivalent preferred.
- Experience working with a large school district is preferred.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience. Position is full-time and benefit eligible.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Special Olympics Tennessee is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, age, parental status, socio-economic background, military service, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable law.
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to Lauren Simpson - LSimpson@specialolympicstn.org.